Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Hanuman & Karthigai Deepam


Today, I went along with my friend to a nearby temple by the road. Just walking distance. My friend and his family went to pray to Hanuman. So did I for a moment, but I quickly sought permission from God and allowed myself to spend most of the time taking photographs. Well... I have always considered most Gods as my friends, except of course when I need their support and then I am their humble servant!


This is Balaji. Another incarnation of Vishnu. Lord Ram (as in ramayan) was re-incarnation of Vishnu. And Hanuman was Ram's dearest sevak (one who serves). So, where is Hanuman in the temple?


Hanuman is the smaller idol below. As a sign of a person who cherishes serving Lord Balaji. Now, while Hanuman chooses to serve him with all his love. I love Hanuman. Because he remains a bachelor. Just like me!! Lolz. He had enormous powers within him right from childhood, but was totally unaware of them till much later in his adulthood. And that too he was to be told before he realised. I like that kind of person and surely that kind of God!!

Coupled to this today is also Karthigai Deepam festival, very popular in Tamil Nadu. The story is equally exciting behind it :

"According to legend, Goddess Parvati once playfully closed Siva's eyes and the entire world was plunged in darkness. Hence She did penance at Kasi , Kanchi and Thiruvannamalai. The Lord, pleased with Her penance, appeared before Her on Karthigai day in the month of Karthigai. To mark the occasion, Karthigai Deepam is lighted on that day. She prayed to the Lord that the people who worship Him as Arunachaleswara should be forgiven for their mistakes, committed knowingly or unknowingly"



While seeking the above information I hit upon more information about the Arunachaleswara temple which you can read here. Its quite interesting. It also contains a a good description on why Brahma, the creator, does not have many temples in his name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home